Is net metering fair when you don’t pay transmission costs for the power you push to the grid?

Is net metering fair when you don’t pay transmission costs for the power you push to the grid?

So I have a PV system and love it. I also love that in NJ I get a 1:1 credit for every kWh I produce so that I can use it anytime during the 12 month period. No TOU rates.

My question is about the fairness of it...

Last year, I produced more than what I used. My overproduction netted me a $80 credit from the electric company (my excess kWh at $0.04 which is the wholesale price). My fixed monthly customer charge is $3. So last year I took advantage of the grid, line workers, line maintenance, transformers, etc and actually made money from the electric company.

In NJ there is a transmission cost and a generation cost. They only charge me those when I pull electricity from the grid.

I feel that I should also pay transmission costs for the power I push to the grid because I’m using the grid infrastructure.

It just doesn’t seem fair...

submitted by /u/fpaddict
[visit reddit] [comments] http://bit.ly/2TjYLwg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Jobs Resources March 14, 2018 - HELP WANTED / TRAINING AVAILABLE: Must have sunny disposition