Any PV Troubleshooters here?

Any PV Troubleshooters here?

I have a 4KW 16 panel system with a SolarEdge HD Wave Inverter that has been "stuck" in night mode since I discovered the 20 AMP AC Breaker had tripped. I reset the breaker and the inverter has not made any power since.

A service tech concluded that the inverter will need to be RMA'd and replaced. It kinda looks like the wound coils at the top of inverter may have some darkening, but no other signs of black death or smells. The tech suspected a possible issue with the utility power may have attributed, but I have my doubts.

My question is how to understand some the results of my own troubleshooting, I'm familiar enough with AC systems, but don't know much how Power Optimizers work in a system like this.

The inverter says it's only getting 1-2 volts DC, which initially I thought was an indicator of a power optimizer string issue. I confirmed the reading with my multimeter at the load side of the DC disconnect. With the DC disconnect in the off position the reading at the line side is 8 volts per string, 8 volts total in parallel, which I believe is what the readings should be for a 8 and 8 configuration when its not in production. What I don't understand is why the readings drop to 1-2 volts when the DC disconnect is in the ON position, Is that normal, as if the Power Optimizers are waiting for the GO command from the inverter?

Honestly didn't want to share my troubleshooting questions for the service tech, didn't want to inadvertently inherit blame in a warranty matter.

submitted by /u/avtechguy
[visit reddit] [comments] http://bit.ly/2SsYoyE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Jobs Resources March 14, 2018 - HELP WANTED / TRAINING AVAILABLE: Must have sunny disposition