Roughly how much did I overpay? 7KW system in MA.

Roughly how much did I overpay? 7KW system in MA.

Before I start I want to apologize if this type of post is annoying. I searched /r/solar but couldn't find what I was looking for and I think my post has the potential to help other solar newbies.

That said, I recently went live with a 7KW system in MA for $30,000 (i'm not factoring in Fed and state refund). I admit I did not do enough research before purchasing the system. I was vaguely aware I could get an equivalent system for much less if I was to buy the panels and inverter wholesale and then hire a contractor myself to do the install, but I was lazy and decided to "trust" the sales person with the idea that I was still going to save money and help the environment in the long run.

Here's the details:

Panels: 24 x Hanwha qcell 295W

Inverter: SolarEdge HDWave. I believe this has a max output of 6KW which I find a little confusing since I purchased a 7KW system. From what I read this is not that uncommon and is sort of the equivalent to "overclocking" a CPU.

Those panels average about $225 each. So 24 of those plus shipping is roughly $5750. I estimate the inverter and other accessories to be about $2000. So that's $7,750. Let's round up to $10,000 just because I don't know if I'm missing other parts I would need. Then let's say the install is $10,000. That's a total of $20,000. What the heck did the extra $10,000 get me? Was it just for an overpriced support contract with Sunnova?

submitted by /u/FlippantTrousers
[visit reddit] [comments] https://ift.tt/2zoYTD4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Jobs Resources March 14, 2018 - HELP WANTED / TRAINING AVAILABLE: Must have sunny disposition