Solar newb, looking for career and education advice

Solar newb, looking for career and education advice

Quick about me: currently in the military (7.5 years), transitioning out within the next 2-3 months. Recently took a solar course offered through local community college and Everblue for Photovoltaic Fundamentals and Installation. Also took the NABCEP associate exam and am awaiting results.

This course really piqued my interest, and I am planning on gaining employment in the industry back home (Long Island, NY) as soon as I am complete with my military service. As of right now, the position I'm most interested in is Residential PV System Designer. However, I know that it is going to take both some education, and experience to get there.

Education decisions: One of the best things about completing your honorable military service is the G.I. Bill. I want to use mine to tailor it towards my advancement in the Solar field to work towards my desired position. The local community college has a couple of options that I was hoping to get some feedback about. Option 1 Engineering Science, A.S, or Option 2 Electrical Technology, A.A.S. With option 2, I was thinking about having it paired with this Drafting Certificate. Would either of these course of actions be a beneficial/wise use of my time?

In advance I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and give me feedback. I want to make sure I'm utilizing my education the best way possible to help get my foot in the door in the industry, and I know there's some professionals lurking on this Subreddit.

submitted by /u/Donjuan11b
[visit reddit] [comments] https://ift.tt/2mT9oYd

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Jobs Resources March 14, 2018 - HELP WANTED / TRAINING AVAILABLE: Must have sunny disposition