My first time putting together a off-grid solar system and I have a few questions.

My first time putting together a off-grid solar system and I have a few questions.

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this sub. I'm compiling a system for an off-grid backyard addition that im building but feel a bit out of my depth. So far I've done reaserch and compiled a rough list of components for the system, but I still have a few questions before I go ahead and pull the trigger on them all. Any answers or resources you guys can provide would be much appreciated!

System Information:

System Size: 6.5KW

Solar Panels (x20 Panels): Talesun TP672P-325P. Panels will face South-West at 235* from due north.

Battery (5.5 KwH): For the battery I'm using 600 LG 18650 2600mA cells at 3.7V in 13s23p configuration. The total battery size is 5.5 KwH @ 48V.

Inverter: AIMS Power 6000W Inverter.

Charge Controller: MidNite Solar Classic 150 Charge Controller

Location Information:

Latitude: 34.3 - Atlanta, GA

Annual High Temp: 90*F

Annual Low Temp: 45*F

Questions:
  • I have been able to work out the other aspects of the system, but i'm honestly still clueless on what to look for in a charge controller. The best I've found so far is the MidNite 150, however their online calculator says the charge controller might be a little under-powered for my panel setup. Does anyone have any charge controller recommendations for this setup, or information where I can find out more about charge controller sizing for this system? Also, the charge controller says it's "operating voltage" is 150V. Does this mean that I will have to run enough panels in series to produce 150V just to run the charge controller?
  • The goal with this system was to generate anywhere from 17-20 KwH per day. The location they will be placed in is not perfectly south facing (235 degrees SW) and is anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 shaded at different times of day, however our location (Atlanta, GA) gets about 4 hours of peak sunlight per day. Is this power output reasonable given these circumstances?
  • Our panels will be mounted on a flat roof. I've read that the best angle to place them at would be equal to your latitude, in this case 34.4 degrees. Is this true?
  • Where can i find out more about how much space I should put between each row of panels? The roof area is 34' x 15', and I would like to find out if this is enough surface area to fit all the panels without them casting shadows on one another and further reducing their power output.

Thanks in advance guys.

submitted by /u/HigherNoonThanYours
[visit reddit] [comments] https://ift.tt/2LL0ppU

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Jobs Resources March 14, 2018 - HELP WANTED / TRAINING AVAILABLE: Must have sunny disposition