Building your own utility-style horizontal axis tracker: Has anyone done this? Or who can I buy one from?

Building your own utility-style horizontal axis tracker: Has anyone done this? Or who can I buy one from?

As I'm working on home solar plans for next year, I'm recognizing that I'm going to need a ground mount system, because for a combination of reasons (setbacks, shading, load ratings, angle, and smallish roof to start with), mounting on my roof isn't likely to work. If I do mount stuff up there, I'll still need to supplement with ground mount, and, well, the effort difference between "doing some ground mount" and "doing all ground mount" isn't that high.

I live on a nice south facing hill, and an area to install the panels on isn't a big deal. But, since I'd like my power production to match use somewhat better (in expectation of changes to the net metering agreement my utility company is working on), which implies morning and evening production instead of middle-of-day production. And that, by my thinking, is best served by putting the panels on a single axis, utility-style tracker, with a built in south tilt.

That will optimize morning and evening production, flatten out my production throughout the day, and, conveniently, self-clear any snow on it (experimentally with my office, vertical panels will self-clear entirely within half an hour of first light). This means a utility-style tracker that can tilt to a full 90 degrees (or close to it).

I'm running into the problem that all the vendors of horizontal axis trackers I've found are aimed squarely at utility companies - some say things like, "Minimum order 5MW." This is not helpful for someone who wants to install about 8kW of panel.

If I have two rows of panels on each side of the axis with the short sides parallel to the main axis (so the configuration is "wide"), I'm looking at needing about 40' of tracker, which I should be able to support with a few concrete holes in the ground. Punching holes is no problem at all.

Does anyone make a horizontal axis tracker in this scale? I don't mind spending a decent chunk of money on it, if I can get what I need.

Alternately, does anyone know of people who have built something like this who can offer advice? I can clean sheet it, but I'd rather start with some concepts that people know work. The plans I've found are for something like 1 panel, or 4 panels - not 24-30 panels, as I'm going to be installing for my loads.

Thanks for any help you can offer on this!

submitted by /u/Syonyk
[visit reddit] [comments] https://ift.tt/2IYa0VY

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Jobs Resources March 14, 2018 - HELP WANTED / TRAINING AVAILABLE: Must have sunny disposition