Closing on a home right now, lots of questions about solar and all the changes I'm hearing about on the news. (North of Boston near NH)

Closing on a home right now, lots of questions about solar and all the changes I'm hearing about on the news. (North of Boston near NH)

Hey All,

My fiance and I are closing on a very large home, we get the keys March 15th or so. This is a nearly 6000 sq foot home which will house our hippy-artist friends and ourselves, sort of a modern-day collective of cool people. We want to put on solar panels, and have lots of questions!

https://imgur.com/a/VVaOh

First, that's the roof in the summer. Lots of space, a bit of shade, and it's mostly east/west facing.

Second, the current setup is that this is run off of two meters (it was licensed as a business). Will I need to convert this back to one meter in order to have the solar array power the whole house?

Third, I'm asking the seller to look at kWh usage over the last year. Until I get that information I don't have anything concrete to provide. However, I can tell you there is a hot tub, pool, four air conditioners and four heaters, large hot water heater with boiler to put hot water into tank instead of cold, and a sauna. I'll also be powering a couple of computer servers (modern HPs, they won't use as much as the older servers did). In short, whatever the usage it will be high. We'll have a mass-save audit done for free, they put in LEDs in all the lights, check insulation, etc. The windows are all new Anderson windows. All of the appliances in this home are ultra-high end and energy efficient, no corners were cut but there are just a lot of them. And this house will be holding at least six adults, possibly eight.

Lastly, the tariffs are coming. Is there any way to have a contractor lock something in place right now before we have the keys in order to beat those tariffs? Just general thoughts on that, I know that's too specific a question and I'll need to talk to some local companies.

So those are my issues. I will absolutely be talking to someone about this very soon, I was just hoping to get some general guidance on things. I'm guessing I'll need at least a 15 kWh system.

I'm not as concerned about cost. I would like to do as much as possible to eliminate the electric bill, even at a higher up-front cost with the system.

submitted by /u/PresNixon
[visit reddit] [comments] http://ift.tt/2nneLQ8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Jobs Resources March 14, 2018 - HELP WANTED / TRAINING AVAILABLE: Must have sunny disposition