New PV install DC or AC Coupling for future battery?

New PV install DC or AC Coupling for future battery?

Currently in the midst of getting many quotes for around a 6.5kW system. Since I will be grandfathered into the current time of use/tiered system for 5 years (in san diego with SDG&E) I am going to wait on a battery. I do , however, want to set my self up for the future. Looking at current technology and it looks like you either go with a DC coupled system (LG Chem) or an AC coupled system (Powerwall).

One company suggested that I get a hybrid inverter (StorEdge) so that in 5 years time I will be ready to go. This, however, would lock me into a DC battery.

In contrast to the LG Chem battery, the Powerwall 2 is AC coupled and I could use a standard SE7600 inverter (along with DC optimizers). Much less expensive than the StorEdge inverter.

I wanted to get some feedback on which technology is most likely to be advanced in the next 5 years or so. I understand that a DC coupled battery is currently more efficient (less conversions) but who knows in 5 years time. I would hate to spend the extra $$ on the StorEdge only to have AC batteries be the end all be all in 5 years.

I'm leaning towards just getting the standard DC optimizers/inverter and re-evaluating in 5 years time. With the theory being that if DC batteries are significantly advanced, so will the hybrid inverters and if not well I am already set up for AC.

What do you think?

submitted by /u/Nortdort
[visit reddit] [comments] http://ift.tt/2AaH8bE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Jobs Resources March 14, 2018 - HELP WANTED / TRAINING AVAILABLE: Must have sunny disposition