Two charge controllers in parallel

Two charge controllers in parallel

I've got two charge controllers: a pwm 30A and a mppt 40A. Can I connect them in parallel to get 50+ amps going to the battery?

Background, I've got a solar bank on the roof of my RV. If I expand the solar, I'm going to outgrow my charge controller. Fishing additional wires down from the roof to the basement is a major pain in the ass, so adding a completely isolated charge controller is not desirable. Plus I've already got a spare pwm charge controller just sitting here.

So my options are 1. Throw away some nice/expensive charge controllers and completely upgrade to an even more expensive one. 2. Spend all freaking weekend fishing another set of wires so I can add the controllers separately 3. Add the two controllers in parallel and let the current flow to both/either depending on whichever one has capacity at any given time.

Option 3 seems like it should work, but I can't find a single example where someone has tried it.

Any downsides?

Both can handle the total voltage and the existing wires can more than handle the total current in the expanded solar plant.

submitted by /u/SavageThinker
[visit reddit] [comments] http://ift.tt/2z0eEkV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Jobs Resources March 14, 2018 - HELP WANTED / TRAINING AVAILABLE: Must have sunny disposition